Saturday, January 17, 2009

How to remove default/preloaded applications like browser,camera,contacts...

Suppose u have developed a new contact application which is much better than the preloaded contact application in android..so when u want to install it eclipse will throw u bunch of error saying "Please uninstall the contact application first by adb uninstall "package name".

When u tried to do that...Alas...it did not work...saying FAILED

The reason for this is that u don't have the root access and u have only read only access..So to change the access and remove the contacts(any application) follow the below instructions..

1.Start your emulator
2.execute "adb shell" in on terminal from SDK_ROOT/tool folder
3.#mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
This will mount your system folder with read/write permission
4.#go to system/apps folder
cd /system/apps
5.#rm application.apk
i.e. rm contacts.apk
Bingo Check your emulator.The default application is gone.Now u can install your application with eclipse.
N.B.:This is required to remove the apps already present in emulator...If u want to remove some of the application u've installed then just do
adb uninstall yourpackgae
or
adb shell
#cd /data/app
#rm yourapp.apk

So enjoy Being an Android Programmer........

5 comments:

  1. how do you use the emulator? do i have to do this process via desktop with my android connected? i am using mytouch 3g with 1.6

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you thank you thank you.
    I was able to remove the craptastic music app and use any one I want and have th bluetooth controls work properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much to post those useful instructions to delete the preload applications. But I found that if i restart my emulator again the deleted applications would come back again, and if i delete the phone application the emulator would crash. Could you help me about those? My email is lgon9673@uni.sydney.edu.au. And I also book marked your blog, Thanks again.
    My system is Mac OS 10.5, and the android that i built is 2.2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much....this post was very useful to me. I installed an app "install-root", which emulates the terminal in phone, then i executed the adb shell commands provided by you to delete default calendar app in my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For starters I am not at all expert on the subject of androids and that is why I ask for help. I have a Dell Venue and a week ago I can not surf the web, I was told I had to uninstall the browser, turn off the phone and reinstall it. It turns out that there is an application for uninstall but it's for Samsung Galaxy only (darkyROM), is there any application that can help me do that? what can I do?

    ReplyDelete